Master's degree in Applied Telecommunications and Engineering Management (MASTEAM)
NEWS (July 28th 2016): The official list of students admitted to MASTEAM to begin their studies in September 2016 is published here (in Catalan, Spanish and English).
NEWS (July 20th 2016): David Sesto, one of the new students admitted to MASTEAM to begin his studies in September 2016, has been awarded the grant of 5.000 euros offered by the Fundació Catalunya-La Pedrera, in the sixth edition of the Scholarship Program for Masters of Excellence.
NEWS (May 18th 2016): MASTEAM has been awarded, for the 6th year in a row, a grant for the newly admitted student (Autumn 2016) with the best academic records. The grant amount is 5.000 euros, covering tuition fees, plus a stipend, and is offered by the Fundació Catalunya-La Pedrera, in the sixth edition of the Scholarship Program for Masters of Excellence. This initiative aims to recognize talent, promote excellence and impulse postgraduate quality, MASTEAM is one of the only six masters considered excellent in the field of Engineering. More information here.
NEWS (April 13th 2016): As an activity of the Big Data and Data Mining course of the MASTEAM, past Tuesday March 29th the students and the lecturer of the course went to visit the Barcelona Supercomputing Center. The visit lasted for 1 hour during which the group was authorized to walk around and above the glass box that contains the MareNostrum, to see one of its more than 24,000 processing boards, and to visit the museum of the historical supercomputers of the center. More information here.
NEWS (April 1st 2016): Two MASTEAM students, Xavier Narváez and Rodrigo Sampedro, have been awarded a Catalan Government grant to collaborate in undergraduate teaching activities during three months. The selection was made based on the academic records of the candidates, and the two grants assigned to EETAC have been awarded to MASTEAM students. More information here.
NEWS (February 22nd 2016): Guillem Xercavins Torregrosa (MASTEAM) has received a grant from theInstrumentation, Sensors and Interfaces Group, one of the UPC research groups based in EETAC premises, in order to work on his Master Thesis on bioimpedance measurements using only surface contacts with the limbs. His work will develop several UPC patents which implementation can be a breakthrough in cardiovascular measurements in e-health scenarios.
NEWS (December 15th 2015): A team of four EETAC-UPC students, including three MASTEAM alumni (Sergio Aguilar Romero, Rafael Montero Herrera, David José Quiroz Martiña, Luis Alonso Villatoro Quiroz), has won the SDN Open Contrail Hackathon organized by the i2CAT Foundation and Juniper Networks. The contest consisted on developing a proof-of-concept of a SDN/NFV application, taking advantage of the flexibility of the current trend of software-defined and virtualized networking. The team won a prize of 3000$ or a ticket to the 4-day Imagine Express Barcelona-Paris-London trip. More information here.
NEWS (October 13th 2015): Two of our students receive a 5000 euros Excellent Grant covering tuition fees, plus a stipend. Ana Cristina Fernández and Rodrigo Sampedro are among the 50 students who received a grant from Fundació Catalunya-La Pedrera, in the fifth edition of the Scolarship Program for Masters of Excellence. This initiative aims to recognize talent, promote excellence and impulse postgraduate quality. More information here.
The master's degree in Applied Telecommunications and Engineering Management (MASTEAM) offers students a wide range of optional courses and prepares them for research or professional practice as engineers in cutting-edge Information and Communication Technology (ICT) fields. The topics include Smart Cities, Internet of things, 5th generation of mobile communications, sensor networks, optical communications in the cloud, network management, massive data processing (Big Data) and signal processing, software-defined networking and radio (SDR and SDN), smart objects, network security, business models and management in the ICT sector. The master has mobility agreements with more than 30 European universities as well as internship agreements with more than 100 companies in the telecommunications sector.
Entry places: 30
The pre-enrolment period for MASTEAM students wishing to apply for starting their studies in Autumn 2016 closed on 8 July 2016. There will be an extraordinary enrolment period from 7 to 9 September 2016, but during this period only those candidates who already have a visa for their studies in Spain (European Union nationals, for example) should apply, if they want to start their studies in September 2016, since the visa procedures for non-EU nationals will take some weeks. Enrollment will take place on tth September 2016, and lectures will start on 12th September 2016 (pending confirmation of exact dates).
For those students wishing to start their studies in Spring 2017 (February 2017), the pre-enrollment period will be open from 17 October 2016 to 16 December 2016. More details about the admission calendar can be found here.
Duration: 1 academic year (full time), 2 academic years (part time)
ECTS credits: 60 (1500 hours of student activities)
Officially verified by the Spanish Ministry of Education and the Catalan Regional Government through the Agency for the Quality of the University System of Catalonia (AQU). AQU
Being an official master degree of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA), graduates who hold an official bachelor’s degree of at least 240 ECTS credits (4 years) and this master’s degree of 60 ECTS credits fulfill the requirement of having at least 300 ECTS in official programs and therefore may seek admission to a doctoral programme for pursuing an official PhD degree.
Scope and Objectives
Telecommunication has evolved from audio and video communication for personal information exchange and entertainment to pervasive data communication in the Mobility and Internet-of-Things era. Currently, telecommunications in general and Internet in particular are major technological drivers, providing solutions for countless applications that were unthinkable just two decades ago. They have transformed the ways we communicate and live.
This master degree is intended for those willing to acquire the skills that will enable them to conceive, design and implement cutting-edge engineering solutions based on the latest telecommunication and Internet technologies in order to improve people’s welfare in a sustainable economy.
Program and Faculty
Total: 60 ECTS
Mandatory contents: 15 ECTS (courses) + Master Thesis: 12 ECTS
Optional contents: 33 ECTS - Total optional offer: 42 ECTS
Faculty - course coordinators (as of Spring 2016 semester)
- 1A1 courses
- Sensors and Interfaces: Ramon Pallàs-Areny (Full Professor, Dept of Electronics Engineering, Instrumentation, Sensors and Interfaces research group).
- Network Engineering: Sebastià Sallent (Full Professor, Network Engineering Dept, Broadband Networks and Services research group).
- Optimization for Applied Engineering Design: Cristina Cervelló (Associate Professor & Dept Director, Network Engineering Dept, Broadband Networks and Services research group).
- Next-gen Wireless Comm and IoT: Silvia Ruíz (Associate Professor, Department of Signal Theory and Communications, Wireless Communications Technologies research group).
- ICT-Based Entrepeneurship: Jesús Alcober (Associate Professor, Network Engineering Dept, Broadband Networks and Services research group).
- 1A2 courses
- Optical Networks for Cloud-Based Services: Salvatore Spadaro (Associate Professor, Department of Signal Theory and Communications, Optical Communications research group).
- Internet of Things & Ubiquitous IP, Spring 2016: Carles Gómez Montenegro (Associate Professor, Network Engineering Dept, Wireless Networks research group).
- 5G Network Planning: Juan Olmos (Associate Professor, Department of Signal Theory and Communications, Wireless Communications Technologies research group).
- Low-Power Systems with Energy Harvesting: Óscar López (Associate Professor, Dept of Electronics Engineering, Instrumentation, Sensors and Interfaces research group).
- Applied Image Processing: Francesc Tarrés (Associate Professor, Department of Signal Theory and Communications, Audio-Visual Technologies research group).
- Augmented Reality & Smart Objects: Dolors Royo (Associate Professor, Computer Architecture Dept).
- 1B1 courses
- Service Engineering: Jesús Alcober (Associate Professor, Network Engineering Dept, Broadband Networks and Services research group).
- Body Sensor Nodes: Ramon Pallàs (Full Professor, Dept of Electronics Engineering, Instrumentation, Sensors and Interfaces research group).
- Creativity and Engineering: Antoni Elias (Full Professor, Department of Signal Theory and Communications, Antennas and Wireless Systems Laboratory).
- Big Data and Data Mining: Cristina Barrado (Associate Professor, Computer Architecture Dept, Research Group on Intelligent Communications and Avionics for Robust Unmanned Aerial Systems).
- Network Security - Authentication and Authorization: Juan Hernández (Associate Professor, Network Engineering Dept, Information Security research group).
- Software-Defined Radio: Antoni Gelonch (Associate Professor, Department of Signal Theory and Communications, Components and Systems for Communications Research Group).
- Project on ICT-based Entrepeneurship: Vicenç Fernández (Associate Professor, Dept of Management and Business Administration).
Generic competencies are the skills that graduates acquire regardless of the specific course or field of study. The generic competencies established by the UPC are capacity for innovation and entrepreneurship, sustainability and social commitment, knowledge of a foreign language (preferably English), teamwork and proper use of information resources.
The global competencies of MASTEAM include:
- Manage and plan, both at the technical and management level, ICT-based developments, research projects or innovations.
- Plan, design, develop and manage technologically feasible telecommunications projects and applications, based on the need to create or innovate an optimum and appropriate product or process in accordance with certain regulatory, environmental and cost guidelines.
- Prepare or evaluate a feasibility plan for the development of a product or service for a company.
- Be familiar with trends in the telecommunications market, laws and guidelines set by various organisations, existing standards and recommendations, current ICT trends, and their impact on social, economic and cultural development.
- Capacity of carrying out advanced research in the telecommunications field (R&D departments at companies, Research centres, Universities).
- Direct and lead research groups.
The specific skills MASTEAM students acquire include the ability to:
- Design, implement and evaluate 5G and next generation mobile communications networks.
- Design, implement and evaluate high density heterogeneous networks using virtualization techniques in the access network.
- Design, implement and evaluate cooperative mobile networks (Internet of things) for different types of terminals (vehicles, home automation components, infrastructure, body sensors, etc.).
- Analyze, model and design big scale communications networks.
- Solve optimization problems in the field of communication networks.
- Design and implement wireless sensor networks for any application.
- Define the elements that characterize a business model for innovative ICT-based products.
Graduates of this master’s degree will be experts in designing, developing and managing telecommunications projects. They can also work in the creation of innovative products, systems and procedures in accordance with regulations and environmental guidelines. They will also be able to pursue advanced research careers in international R&D divisions.
Among others, the graduates of this Master may work in the following industries:
- Network operators
- Providers of added-value telecommunication services
- Smart Cities, Internet of Things
- Data Centers
- Big Data
- Companies in sectors that are currently being transformed by ICTs (automotive, audiovisual, food, logistics, energy, finances…)
- Mobile Apps
- Aeronautics and Aerospace
- Research, development and innovation (R+D+I)
- Public Administration
- Digital Entertainment
- Technical consulting
- Business Consulting
- Electronic Components
- Telecommunications regulators
- Computer Science
This Master allows students of an official degree (of at least 240 ECTS) to access a PhD / doctorate program in Telecommunications Engineering or other ICT-related fields.
Besides the general access requirements set by the UPC, MASTEAM sets the following specific admission requirements and criteria.
Specific admission requirements:
- An official Bachelor Degree OR Technical Engineering Degree in Telecommunications or ICT (Information and Communication Technologies) Engineering, specialising in Telecommunications Systems, Telematics (Computer Networks), Electronic Systems, Audiovisual Systems, or Science & Technologies of Telecommunications, or an official MSc Degree in Telecommunications or ICT Engineering. Any of the aforementioned degrees must have been obtained in an educational institution from a state belonging to the European Higher Education Area (EHEA).
- With complementary coursework, other engineering degrees from EHEA or Telecommunications/ICT engineering degrees from outside EHEA. A Validations Committee will review the applications and may propose complementary coursework.
- Language requirements: English language certification – Level B2 or higher.
Documents to be submitted in the application:
- Bachelor degree (see above)
- Academic record/transcript of records
- Curriculum vitae
- Motivation letter and two letters of recommendation (from a professor and/or former employer)
- Certification of English Language: B2 (or higher) of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, or an equivalent level in other scales (IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge, etc). See this for more details.
Application to the MASTEAM Master's degree has to be done in the period established by the UPC. Please follow this link.
Fees and Grants
€179.08 of annual taxes, plus €51.46 per ECTS credit. For non-residents who are not UE nationals, the credit cost is 1.5 times the ordinary cost (fees for the 2015-2016 academic year).
MASTEAM has been awarded a 5000 euros Excellence Masters grant from Fundació Catalunya-La Pedrera, for one of our students. The grant is awarded only to internationally-projected, research-oriented masters taught in English. The grant includes tuition fees for one academic year, plus a stipend. Check the News section at the top of this page.
The Instrumentation, Sensors and Interfaces Group offers a grant to MASTEAM students interested on Master Thesis topics offered by the group. Candidates are expected to have a trajectory of academic excellence, genuine interest on applied research and, eventually, readiness to pursuing a PhD. degree. Check the News section at the top of this page.
Enrollment instructions (only for candidates admitted in the pre-enrollment procedure).
Enrollment day: Each semester, before the start of lectures, there will be a specific day when the admitted students have to be physically present at the campus with their documents, in order to finish the administrative procedures and pay the fees. The date will be announced to the admitted students with a couple of months in advance, and usually takes place around September 1st-14th for the Autumn semester (lectures start around September 15th), and around February 1st-14th (lectures start around February 15th) for the Spring semester.
Documents to present for the enrollment (original + 1 extra copy)
- University degree certificate (or proof that you have applied for it) that provides access to the master's degree course.
- Academic record / Transcript of Records / Personal transcript (courses taken and marks obtained).
- Your national identity document if you are a Spanish / European Union national, and in the case of candidates from outside EU, your passport and Foreigner Identification Number, NIE (or proof that you have applied for it). NIE can be obtained either in Spain (visiting any National Police station) or in Spanish Embassies/Consulates.
- 2 passport-sized photographs.
- Curriculum Vitae.
For those of you who also hold a master's degree, there is no need to bring it, since it is the bachelor degree the one that allows you to access MASTEAM.
IMPORTANT (1) - In case your degree has not been obtained at an educational institution from the European Union, *you MUST legalize your documents*. You can enrol even if the legalization procedures have not finished, but you should demonstrate that you have at least started the legalization procedures. More information about the legalization procedures can be found here (in Spanish).
IMPORTANT (2) - Since the only languages in which we can accept original documents are Spanish, Catalan and English, any document whose original version is in other languages should be accompanied by a *certified* or *legalized* translation, not a simple translation to English or Spanish.
Example: if you studied in Russia and you present a translation of your degree diploma in English, the English translation cannot be a simple translation - it should be legalized / certified.
Spring 2016 schedule
If you need any clarification, please contact email@example.com.